Its year 2018 and I still haven’t reflected upon all the things I achieved last year, or things I want to do this year. So I will do it now. After digging through all my profiles (stackoverflow, github, bookmarks, projects, photos on phone, workout log, and journal log), this is a comprised list of things I achieved, and what things I want to finish in the future
My last years achievements that I did on my free time 🙂 2017
Development & Work 2017
- Learned lots of new useful software tools – AffinityDesigner, dynalist, airtable, directoryOpus, etc
- Work stuff → improve workflows with airtable + adobe indesign catalog things, learned some database related items and excel VBA processing.
- Wrote excel VBA macro for airtable [wow its at 174 downloads :)]
(https://community.airtable.com/t/bulk-image-downloader-and-renamer-using-excel-vba/4913) for bulk image downloading+ renaming→ Learned Excel VBA
- Wrote stylish theme for dynalist 170 downloads → Learned CSS selectors
- Finishing 280 items in freecodecamp
- Finish 10 courses on lynda.com github or so
- Got 300 reputation on stackoverflow in 1 year! and wrote 50 questions, learned how to properly format a good question.
Habits, Social, & Fitness 2017
- 7 months of training in Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu, but I retired it after getting a back injury
- I did my first outdoor mountain climb!
- I couldn’t do full chest dips before, but now i can
- Couldn’t really do a unassisted chinup before, but now I can
- Learn to write better work in progress
- habit -> 30 days of programming nonstop and continuing +
- habit -> 90 days of anki flashcards almost every morning
- habit -> One whole year of weekly sprint journalling with dynalist! (also this marks 1yr 2 months using dynalist I think)
- I built a home gym setup (Minimal Space)
My new year’s resolution 2018
Development & Work 2018
- Finish 2 work projects
- Finish freecodecamp frontend certification things + possibly more of it down the road
- Build a todo-mvc app on watchandcode.com About 40% done
- Rebuild blog again by learning writing a custom underscores wordpress theme. Alternative is to build my own jekyll blog from scratch
- Possibly build a NAND2tetris app and finish CS50 to learn basic comp sci + potentially more indepth courses (design patterns, data structs). Teachyourselfcs.com if I finish some things early.
- Finish some other courses (few from “You don’t know JS like ASYNC”) to have so I can have a better depth of frontend tech (HTML/CS / JS)
- Learn React and NodeJS and build a test app from it. Other libraries as needed
- Haven’t really put too much thought on personal projects, I did want to use dynalist API to make a table-of-contents scroller though. From there who knows ¯\(ツ)/¯
- Other Maybes, possibly not-goals (Learn Vagrant + linux + php + lamp stack, make some money on cryptocurrency exchanges, learning PHP in greater detail / laravel, picking up haskell / learning more python, making some python projects on the side, Possibly make youtube tech tutorials.
- Learn the ukelele (I have one coming next week~!)
Habits, Social, & Fitness 2018
- Do a full gymnast L-Sit spent 4 months trying this, cannot do yet /r/bodyweightfitness :muscle:
- Do a full unassisted pullup wide grip
- Do a full pistol squat
- Do a skin-the-cat row pull
- Do an unassisted handstand may not happen this year
- Buy an olympic bar and a power-rack, I need a bigger home gym
- I need to build more meaning connections to friends / family and meet more people. I have a non existent social life atm partially when I stopped Jiu Jitsu training, work and hobbies too time consuming
- Habit: Post a blog about something at least once every 2 weeks, probably Saturday morning
I have this set on tabsnooze to see if I accomplish any of this next year. Also I put my workout routines on hold since I pulled a neck muscle, had bad form and lifted too much in cold weather.
I tried to be as realistic as possible for things I want to accomplish in 2018. Things that are within my ability to finish. I tend to set the bar low so hopefully I get a pleasant surprise at the end of the year